A Note To Parents: We make every effort for Roxanne's blog to be a SAFE site for children. Whenever possible, activities are in pdf format or link to safe sites for children. Please feel free to use the information in these posts for homeschool studies! All rights reserved by author and nature photographer, Virginia Parker Staat.

Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Where IS Everybody?


This is a photo of one of my night friends. He is a Mediterranean gecko.

He lives on our front porch. Almost every evening we find him above the front door, looking for bugs to eat. Tonight is cold, and my friend is hiding.

Many of my reptile friends hide during the winter. Reptiles have their own special form of hibernation. It is called brumation. Reptiles go into brumation during winter months.

You probably know that reptiles are cold blooded. They use the outside temperature to control their body temperature. If the weather gets too cold, they can’t keep their bodies warm. So they go into brumation. They hide under leaves and in holes. They bury themselves in mud. Their bodies almost shut down while they wait for warm weather. That means that all of my turtle friends, geckos, lizards, snakes, and frogs disappear when it is cold.

I miss my reptile friends. Once winter is over, I will be happy to see them again!

No comments:

Post a Comment