A Note To Parents: We make every effort for Roxanne's blog to be a SAFE site for children. Whenever possible, activities are in pdf format or link to safe sites for children. Please feel free to use the information in these posts for homeschool studies! All rights reserved by author and nature photographer, Virginia Parker Staat.

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Tracker Dog


Our skunk friend has returned. This morning I tracked her path. I discovered some small holes that she left in our yard.

What was she looking for? She used her snout to dig for grubs. The holes are cone-shaped. They are about two inches deep. We know it is a skunk because there are several holes close together.

Skunks are interesting creatures. Many people are afraid of them. They are not dangerous if you respect them.

I certainly respect them! When I was very young, I was sprayed twice in ten days becaused I chased a skunk.

Mom was not happy with me. She gave me a bath both times with a terrible smelling soap. Of course, the soap smelled better than the skunk spray!

Skunks are very smart. Our skunk friend likes to come into our yard at night. She knows us well. Mom always flips on the porch light before she takes me outside at night. As soon as the light comes on, the skunk runs under the deck. I learned a long time ago not to chase her again!

For more information about skunks, go to http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publications/nonpwdpubs/introducing_mammals/skunks/

Would you like to know more about tracking? Go to this fun activity page at http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publications/pwdpubs/media/pwd_lf_k0700_0001.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment