A Note To Parents: We make every effort for Roxanne's blog to be a SAFE site for children. Whenever possible, activities are in pdf format or link to safe sites for children. Please feel free to use the information in these posts for homeschool studies! All rights reserved by author and nature photographer, Virginia Parker Staat.

Monday, May 31, 2010

Can Your Dog Become a Canine Good Citizen?

Being a Canine Good Citizen is fun. You and your dog might enjoy it, too!

I like it best when I get to do tricks. I can jump over a stick. I can jump through a hoop. I can climb a ladder. I can yodel a song.

Sometimes when I visit a nursing home, some of the people are afraid of me when they first see me. I am a very big dog.

I have learned to sit politely in front of people. If they move a little closer to me, then I put my head in their lap. As soon as I do, they aren't afraid of me any more. They begin to pet me. I love to be petted!

That's really what being a therapy dog is all about... love. A Canine Good Citizen loves people. Most people also love dogs. Whether they are young or old... whether they are sick or hurting... petting a dog can make them feel better.

Would you and your dog like to join in spreading love around? Your town may already have a therapy dog organization. They need handlers and their dogs to visit hospitals, nursing homes, and special need facilities. Therapy dogs can also help children learn to read (see http://www.tailsofjoy.org/readpdfs/qualitiesreadteams.pdf).

If you would like to learn more about therapy dogs, check out these great books from your local library:
Therapy Dogs by Linda Tagliaferro
Frankie, the Walk 'N Roll Therapy Dog Visits Libby's House by Barbara Gail Techel
The Adventures of Sheila the Therapy Dog by Debbie Fedorovich

If you would like to train your dog to become a Canine Good Citizen, check out these books from your library:
The Canine Good Citizen: Every Dog Can Be One by Jack Volhard
Citizen Canine by The American Kennel Club

No comments:

Post a Comment